Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Toys: part II

More on toys: apologies again if you come here only for the science. I tried to stuff this post with as many images as possible. Click on the images for larger versions (or alternatively go here for higher resolution images). In the previous post I mentioned the Invicta toys. Produced by Invicta Plastics, and supposedly authenticated by the Natural History Museum, they're generally bad, and in many cases awful. Originally produced in single colours, a so-called flexi-plastic set was also issued, and here's the complete set on its display stand (go here for bigger version). The least-seen pieces are the little Dimetrodon (at the top) and the Lambeosaurus (at upper right), neither of which were released in flexi-plastic form.


And on the subject of complete sets, here is the Safari Monterey Bay Aquarium set. As you can see the display stand does not contain enough spaces for all the pieces, but this is partly because some of the pieces (e.g. the manta ray and Big-eye thresher) were issued after the display stand was produced. Some of the pieces included here aren't part of the set anyway. A Blue shark which is part of the set is missing from my collection, though I did once own it. Some of these models are among my favourite of model animals: in particular the Great white shark and adult Sperm whale.

An assortment of dinosaurs.

And some more (with assorted other prehistoric animals).

And more.

Moving on, we come to snakes, lizards, frogs and salamanders. The Gila monster is about life-sized, as are the dendrobatid frogs and some others.

Yet more dinosaurs. The big brown tyrannosaur at the back and left is produced by Schleich: there are also Battat, Bullyland, Safari and Invicta models here. The green styracosaur at front right changes colour when placed in hot water and the spiky ankylosaur thing next to it glows in the dark. The Invicta Troodon at far right is another customised model, hand painted.

An assortment of theropods. The big tyrannosaur at far right is the toy originally produced for the Dino-riders set and later released without the saddle and guns and so on. Rex in the movie Toy Story is based on this toy I think. The big red tyrannosaur in the middle is the Jurassic Park toy.

And that'll do for now. There are lots more photos, but I'll stop there I think. For the latest news on Tetrapod Zoology do go here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Vector said...

In the last photo...what is the headgear on that Carnotaurus?

You have a crapload of critters. I love that Monterrey sperm whale. Gotta get me one of those.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HaHaHa what a great collection. Enjoyed seeing all those - thanks for the pics !

9:14 AM  
Blogger Darren Naish said...

What is the headgear on that Carnotaurus? It's one of the Jurassic Park toys and comes with a load of S&M gear: a metal muzzle with blinkers, ankle cuffs and a neck clasp. For images go to...

http://www.jptoys.com/toys/jps2/dinos/carnotaurus/carnotaurusback.jpg

and...

http://www.jptoys.com/toys/jps2/dinos/carnotaurus/carnotaurus5.jpg

11:13 AM  
Blogger Karen McL said...

Oh...I'm Jealous of all the FUN critters in your collection.

Mine have all been co-opted by the Real Children in the house...and my 12 year old would be most envious.

:-D

6:12 PM  
Blogger Steve Bodio said...

Envy! I WANT: aye- aye, viverrids, all the glowing deep- sea fish, more. WHERE do you find them??!!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Darren Naish said...

Where do I find them? The lemurs and viverrids I found in a small toy shop in Denver, Colorado (I've never seen them since: I wasn't able to get the whole set unfortunately). Some of them are available at tapirback.com...

http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/mixed.htm#civets

The deep-sea fish were purchased some years ago from Early Learning Centre (which no longer stocks them). They're cheap versions of a far superior set produced by Safari (though strangely not listed on their website: http://www.safariltd.com/).

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, nice to see someone whose work I've admired is as big a toy geek as I am :)

Tangentially, are you missing any of the Lost Kingdoms Yowies? I've got multiples of some, and in honesty, I'm not so possessive of them that I would hesitate to give them to a good home :)

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the Gila Monster model--who is the maker? Do you know if they are still available for purchase?

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home